Monday, January 28, 2008

Jan 23

In class Wednesday we discussed many interesting subjects. We were asked what comes to mind when we think of Africa and I am almost ashamed at myself for imagining the stereotypes we stated in class.

Colonialism in Africa consists of the 4 C's: Civilize, Conquer, Commerce and Christianity...which really sums up the ideals of the "powerhouse" countries like the United States. They want to conquer everything in the world and make it just like them, whether the inferior countries want that change or not (do they even have a choice?).

The environment really does create our culture. People in Hawaii celebrate the summer all year round...and they seem more relaxed and calm than people who live in the snow all year.

The idea of "educated" people is what we think we are. We have certain ideas of what a "smart" person or "funny" person is and we always compare it to that. We need to realize that words have different meanings in every single culture on this planet. In class an excellent quote was spoken: "Uneducated by Western Standards." This sums it up perfectly.

I think it really shows ignorance in people when they assume things about another culture. When Dr. Wachanga told us the story about the reporter for the NT Daily who wrote that he hunted goats, I was shocked. As a journalist I was shocked that she would assume any fact, and as a human being I was shocked that she was so clueless.

Due to my hectic schedule I was unable to rent the documentary "Darwin's Nightmare," but I will hopefully have the chance soon.

No comments: