Monday, February 4, 2008

Feb 4, 2008

In class we watched the very entertaining movie, "The Gods Must Be Crazy." I found it highly enjoyable and want to make everyone I know watch it. I thought it was brilliant to point out that the bushman's life was way more simple and peaceful before the coke bottle fell. It caused anger and weird emotions in his family and that is exactly what is wrong with society today. We are too high-tech and complicated and we are suffering because of it.

Now, to address Dr. Wachanga's questions:

When I think of African Documentary film, I automatically think of a documentary set in Africa. This doesn't have to the be the case, it could have similarities to Africa but not be filmed there I guess. Africans belong to Africa as a genre, but like we saw in the movie last week, there were other people involved. When African Documentary film is brought up, it is common to just think of a documentary set in Africa and about Africa.

I think even if it is produced by a non-African but is still set in Africa and about Africa, it is still considered an African documentary. If an African produces a film about a non-African society it shouldn't be an African documentary because it's not about Africa in any way. I think that it does not matter who produces, directs or narrates a movie--if it is about Africa, it's African...if not, it's not.

No comments: